Five Fun Things to Do in Tokyo
Tokyo is one of those cities that will always fascinate me. I think it's the mystery of the East which contrasts so much with all the high-tech 'Western' gadgets, neon-lights and architecture.
I could spend days just wandering around the streets, but if I had to pick, I'd pick one of these fun things to do in Tokyo:
- Sing your little heart out in one of the private karaoke rooms. I hate being the centre of attention let alone stand on a stage and make an ass out of myself. So these private karaoke places are perfect if you're like me. You rent them for as long as you want, you pick your own songs and drinks are delivered to your room while you pretend to be Britney or Rihanna.
- Go around the food halls at the many department stores and feast on the samples that are laid out around the different counters. No lunch required.
- Visit the Tsukiji fish market at 5 am. The best way not to miss the most lively moment to visit this market, is to go out all night (Ropongi is a good place to do this) and take the first metro to Tsukijishijo. I swear, the fish I tasted here was the best fish I ever had.
- Step in Bill Murray's and Scarlett Johansson's shoes and have a cocktail at the New York Bar & Grill at the Hyatt Park Hotel near Shinjuku. Even if you're not a 'Lost in Translation' fan, you'll love the views from here across Tokyo.
- Hop on a train to Kamakura, just south of Tokyo. Rent a bike and ride around the quaint little town, dotted with temples and there's a massive sitting Buddha in town as well.